EDWARD “TED” H. MILLER
Mr. Miller represents individuals, families, and corporations on a variety of sensitive and complex matters. He focuses his practice on estate planning, estate and trust administration, residential and commercial real estate, closely-held corporations, taxation, and any related litigation.
While attending the University of Virginia, Mr. Miller received the True Wahoo Award for his community commitment. As a graduate of the Duke University Financial Planning Program, he is able to navigate the multifaceted challenges of retirement, insurance, asset protection, and financial planning. Mr. Miller has passed the Series 65 Registered Investment Advisor exam and is able to bring a holistic approach to the needs of families as they transfer wealth between generations. Mr. Miller is a nationally syndicated author on estate planning matters. He is also an alumnus of the Portsmouth Partnership Lefcoe Leadership Program and an active citizen in many charitable endeavors. Mr. Miller received his law degree from the University of Richmond. Prior to joining Cooper, Spong & Davis, Mr. Miller worked for the Energy, Finance, and Info-Structure Team at White & Case in Washington, DC and apprenticed at an estate planning firm based in Hampton Roads. Mr. Miller is a shareholder at Cooper, Spong & Davis, P.C.
For the second year in a row, Mr. Miller is again included in the 2020 “Top Lawyers” list of Coastal Virginia Magazine and CoVaBiz having been nominated and voted by his peers. He is being recognized for his expertise in Estate Planning.
Contact Mr. Miller at (757) 391-3141 or via email, email@example.com.
- Estate Planning
- Estate and Trust Administration
- Residential and Commercial Real Estate
- Incapacity Planning
- Guardianship and Conservatorship
- Fiduciary Litigation
- The preservation of special assets, such as solar farms, yachts, vacation homes, and antiques
- Member, Board of the Portsmouth Museums Foundation
- Board of the Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce
- Portsmouth Bar Association
- Hampton Roads Community Foundation Professional Advisors Committee
- Adjunct Faculty, Regent University School of Law
- Lefcoe Leadership Program Alumni Association
- Hampton Roads Association for Commercial Real Estate
Speeches and Lectures
- “Estate Planning For The Modern Family,” Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants, Tidewater Chapter (October 2015)
- “Communicating Across The Generational Divide In A Family,” University of Richmond School of Law, Counseling Class
- “Estate Planning: Common Challenges and Solutions,” National Academy of Legal Assistants “NALA” (July 2016)
- “Negotiating With Opposing Counsel,” University of Richmond School of Law, Negotiations Class (October 2016)
- “Trusts: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly,” Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants (October 2016)
- “Trap Doors: Creative Solutions To Common Real Estate Issues,” National Academy Of Legal Assistants, National Convention 2017, Orlando, Florida
- “Drafting & Implementing Revocable Trusts,” National Academy of Legal Assistants, National Convention 2017, Orlando, Florida
- “Family Mediation and Dispute Management,” National Academy of Legal Assistants, National Convention 2019, Scottsdale, Arizona
- “Advanced Real Estate Contracts,” National Academy of Legal Assistants, National Convention 2019, Scottsdale, Arizona
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals